Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Regency Era Gown

This was the second vintage garment I made. The gown is a replica from the Regency Era which was from about 1790 to 1820. Depending on the fabric of the dress, it could be worn as an everyday dress or a ball gown.

I used cotton fabrics featuring a very tiny floral print. The flowers are pink and tan with dark green leaves and a nice dark brown background. For the sash, I used a medium to dark green. This particular dress pattern, Simplicity #4055, is loose-fitting as well as floor-length with a slight train.

The neckline needed to be altered as it was rather immodest. My grandmother helped me alter this by using a partial blouse pattern that replicates an undergarment from the Regency Era. We took cream-colored material, cut out the top half of the pattern and then attached that to the top of the dress. We then accented it with white pearl-finished buttons on the back. It looks like the pattern was created that way.

Something to remember...always wash cotton fabric prior to using it. Unfortunately, I did not do that and the dress shrunk significantly the first time it was washed. Needless to say, it didn't fit me.

While the Titanic dress was my favorite style, this gown is my next favorite.


2 comments:

  1. Hello Ashley!
    Your mother left a comment on my blog and asked me to stop by here. :) Your blog looks lovely...you're off to a great start! Please visit mine sometime...and don't forget to leave a comment. :)

    Blessings,
    ~Miss Raquel

    PS: Your dress looks lovely :) Very nice job! Have you ever visited: www.sensibility.com. It's put up by Mrs. Jennie Chancey...you should take a look at it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Raquel,
    Thank you for stopping in. I have got two patterns from the Sensibility Website. I have only made one of them and that was the Titanic Era dress. One of my brothers got me the Regency Era style pattern for Christmas. I hope to make it sometime soon. By the way, how old are you? I'm going to go look at your blog now. Thanks for visiting Garments of Grace.
    God bless,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete