Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Titanic Dress

This dress represents the Titanic Era. I used a pattern from Sense and Sensibility-- "1912 Kimono Dress Pattern". This dress would probably have been worn to travel or for going to church.

This is a cotton fabric. It has small pretty brown, tan and sage green flowers throughout the print. For the sleeve cuffs, I used a light sage green leaf print and also for the top front insert. It has a two-layered tea length skirt and has 3/4 length sleeves. It is slightly form fitting.

The dress was not exactly easy to make because it took a lining and there was a glitch with the fabric directions. We had to alter it quite a bit for the top to fit right. Also, it was one of my first vintage creations. Overall, I was happy with the end result.


4 comments:

  1. Dear Ashley,
    You probably will not remember me but I know your mum and dad - I used to attend the homeschool support group your mum and dad set up when you lived in Australia! I started a blog almost two years ago and when I saw on FB that you had started a blog I had to come and visit and say hi and I'm your first follower! I can just see from the photograph of your Titanic era dress which is so lovely - I love the style - that you have immense talent for such a young lady. The Lord has really blessed you and I hope you will be able to influence many other young women via your blog - to both dress in a manner worthy of the Lord that we serve and to also express their God given creativity whether that be the art of sewing, cooking, crafting, gardening - there are so many feminine pursuits to choose from!
    I also love the name of your blog and I'm sure it is going to attract many readers!
    May God bless you dear daughter of the King and say hi to your mum and dad from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, It's really good to hear from you. I do remember you from the homeschool group! My goal is to dress in a way that honors the Lord and encourage others to also. Hope you have a wonderful New Year! Thank you for writing. ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Titanic Dress is beautiful, Ashley! I love the combination of colors that you used.
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress is very nice!

    ReplyDelete