Monday, January 17, 2011

The early 1800s or the 1970s----What do you think?


Now this dress was originally made with the Regency Era in mind--early 1800s.  However, when I wore it, someone told me it looked like a hippy style from the 1970s.  This was definitely not what I had in mind when I made it. 

This is an extremely easy pattern to make--Simplicity #9716.  I was not sure of the fabric print at first but when it was done I really thought it looked pretty.  The material is 100% cotton.  The pattern features an elastic waist hidden behind the belt.  It is loose-fitting and very comfortable to wear. The dress is tea-length and has long bell sleeves.  Next time I make this, I may try another sleeve variation.  This sleeve tends to get in the way of doing anything productive.

If you are new to sewing, this would be an excellent dress to start with.  I'd really like to hear your thoughts as to what time period you think this dress fits into.  :0)



1 comment:

  1. Dear Ashley,
    I was a child in the 1970's and I do remember the bold geometric patterns of the fabrics of that decade so I can understand why the person said this to you! I also recall lots of swirls and the colours were orange, purple, green and brown! Kaftans with wide sleeves were very popular then too, so maybe the sleeves add to its 1970's feel! I can see the Regency style in the bodice though.
    I have a few tops with similar sleeves and yes they are not entirely practical - especially if you are washing dishes!

    ReplyDelete