Friday, January 7, 2011

Early 20th Century Business/Travel Suit

This outfit was used as a business/travel suit in the late 1800s through the early 1900s. I used Simplicity pattern #4954.


The army-green shell of the two piece outfit is a denim/cotton blend. The jacket is very elegant and is form fitting. It is trimmed with cream-colored lace around the collar and sleeves. I lined the entire jacket with sage satin. It was difficult and took awhile to make but my grammy was helpful and we got the job done. The two flaps on the bottom front are held up with two small brass-dotted buttons. The back bottom features a pleated fan at the center. The floral weaving on the fabric is slightly raised and adds to the elegance of the outfit.


The skirt fabric is basically the same with the exception that it has lines rather than floral weaving. It is very full and has a fitted waistband. The skirt is floor-length. When I wear this skirt, I wear my mom's bridal gown slip under it to give it the period appearance.


This was a costly vintage adventure although it is my most elegant outfit so far.


5 comments:

  1. Wow! Love the dress! You look nice in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ash,
    My friend is here and we're looking at your blog and she would like to know where you got the Early 20s Travel Suit from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tab,
    I didn't get on last night to comment.
    I made this dress. It was really hard and expensive.I am willing to sell this outfit.
    I only wore the jacket once and the skirt a few times. Well have a great day!
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ash,
    Okay.That's fine. Oh okay. I hadn't realized that you had made it until I had talked to you on the phone. Well I got my answer now! I will let her know. Thanks for telling me.

    Hope you have a good day!
    -Tabby-

    ReplyDelete